Thursday, November 15, 2012

Foodie Friday

Baked Banana & Pecan Nut French Toast Kebabs



When I went to the U.S.A to work at a Summer Camp they used to make amazing french toast for breakfast that had a sweet vanilla/cinnamon flavour. I loved them! In fact, when I arrived at the airport back in South Africa- my whole family could see "just how much" I loved them!

I've never been able to get hold of the Summer Camp Recipe - so the recipe you see below is my own take on it. I've made it even more amazing by adding Baked Banana, Pecan Nuts & a delicious toffee sauce. Then I stuck it all on a kebab coz kebabs are cool! So if you ever need to make breakfast finger-food- this will be a winner!

I made it for Gaz for breakfast- and I think he felt like a very lucky guy! French Toast Kebabs served with a filter coffee, and some fresh strawberries and cream on the side. It sounds delicious doesn't it? Well it is! So go on...it's FRIDAY, throw your diet out the window and have a treat- you deserve it!

What You Need:
  • A big knob of butter (For Frying and For the Sauce)
  • A large handful of Chopped Pecan Nuts
  • 1 French Loaf
  • 1 Cup of Full Cream Milk
  • 1 Teaspoon of Cinnamon
  • 1/2 Teaspoon of Vanilla Essence
  • 3 Eggs
  • 3 Bananas
  • 1 Cup of Muscavado Sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon Maple Syrup
  • A Dash of Milk or Cream for the Sauce (About 1/4 Cup)
  • Kebab Sticks
  • Strawberries and Whipped Cream to Serve
FOR THE FRENCH TOAST KEBABS

  • Preheat your oven to 180 Degrees (C) and bake your bananas on a greased baking tray for 15 minutes
  • Cut the french loaf into thick chunks
  • Whisk together the 3 eggs, 1 Cup Milk, Cinnamon and Vanilla Essence in a bowl
  • Dip each chunk into the batter and fry in a pan a little butter until each side is golden.
FOR THE SAUCE
  • Combine the Muscavado Sugar, Syrup, Butter (A Thin Slice) and Cream in a Sauce Pan
  • Bring to the heat and continously stir until all the sugar has dissolved
  • Throw in your chopped pecan nuts
  • Allow the mixture to reach boiling point and then quickly remove from the heat
PRESENTATION
  • Put alternating chunks of french toast and baked banana onto the kebab sticks
  • Pour the warm toffee sauce over the kebabs
  • Serve with strawberries and whipped cream on the side and...VIOLA!


Happy Happy Weekend All!

Love Abz



2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness yum! I love frech toast so will definatly be making these, and I wont wait till a friday! Any day will do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Well Taz I hope you enjoy them as much as I did :) Ps. I will try your strawberry and balsalmic vinegar ice cream- SOUNDS SO COOL!

    ReplyDelete